Innovation Type: Construction or Operations Processes
Primary Contact: Nicole Anderson
915 26th Avenue NW, Suite C5
Gig Harbor, Washington 98335
VaproShield Two Component Air Barrier System is designed to achieve complete air barrier continuity by managing only two components in the field.
Purpose of the Innovation
- Increase field installation efficiency of a continuous air barrier system
- Reduce cost of materials and labor to install a continuous air barrier system
- Ensure it could be used with wide range of substrates and cladding materials
Building Types to which it can be Applied
All building types.
Participants in its Development or Implementation
VaproShield Technical Team
Cost of Implementation
Depending on substrate/cladding type, field conditions and field labor skill, it is estimated that installed costs, including materials and labor can be 30-50% less than current solutions.
How the Innovation came to be Developed, and how the Innovation Addresses a Specific Issue Faced by the Industry
- The industry faced challenges to efficiency and effectively implement a continuous air barrier system.
- National, state and local codes are requiring continuous air barrier systems to be installed to improve overall energy efficiency.
- Industry lacked full understanding of an air barrier solution and how to achieve complete air barrier continuity to meet code(s).
- Contractors failed to account for additional labor required to install a continuous air barrier, resulting in overages.
Current Practices and why this One is Superior to Others
Current solutions required time-intensive substrate and rough opening preparation, such as
- Field cutting of tapes into shapes such as "bowties" to flash rough openings
- Sealing seams, gaps, joints and corners before WRB/Air Barrier can be applied
The VaproShield Two Component Air Barrier System does NOT require any substrate or rough opening preparation
Current solutions required:
- Personal protection against VOC's, such as respirator, overalls
- Expensive specialized spray equipment to be leased or purchased
- Spill containment plan
The VaproShield Two Component Air Barrier System does NOT contain any VOC's, eliminating the need for respirators, overalls etc. and does NOT require any special equipment for application just common job site hand tools.
Weather restrictions of current solutions required jobs to halted or delayed while waiting for weather events to pass, or the temperature to be above freezing.
The VaproShield Two Component Air Barrier System has very few weather restrictions. It can be installed in below freezing temperatures, immediately following (or before) rain events.
Current solutions have installation restrictions and challenges for field labor:
- No repositioning after membrane is applied
- Overspray onto nearby structures, field labor and pedestrians required additional preparation
- Dust/debris contaminates substrate
The VaproShield Two Component Air Barrier System can be repositioned for up to 45 min. and can be installed both in a horizontal and vertical fashion. The membrane is a fully self-adhered WRB/Air Barrier and does NOT require any spraying of primer, posing no threat to other structures, field labor or pedestrians. Typical construction dust and debris do NOT affect the adhesion properties of the membrane.
Positive and Negative Aspects of the Innovation
Positive aspects see above.
Negative aspects: industry is not anxious to embrace new practices, relies on old, dated practices to solve new issues, resulting in unnecessary overages.
Secure/Safe: No VOCs
Sustainable: Has Declare label , fully recyclable
Functional: Creates complete air barrier continuity
Accessible: Requires little training for field labor
Cost-effective: Can save contractor and installers up to 50% including materials and labor to install.
Historic Preservation: Zero VOCs and no overspray, can help to preserve current and surrounding historic structures. See Bridge on Race profile for more information.
Productive: Complex structures such as overhead soffits are installed with ease. See Cleveland Hopkins Airport profile for more information.
Benefits to the Owner/Client and the Industry as a Whole
Benefits for owner/client are:
- Energy savings for the life of the building [because air barrier is correctly installed]
- Workers and occupants are not exposed to VOC's
- Building envelope is breathable (50+ perm rating) promoting improved indoor air quality and drastically reducing the incidence of mold, mildew and rot within the building envelope
Replicability or Applicability
Effectively used on all types of buildings, with little field training.
Energy and Environment
Having a properly installed air barrier offers energy savings for the life of the building.
Integrated Design. How the Innovation Brings Together a Unified Team to Address the Various Design Objectives
- Can be used with all types of rough openings: commercial windows, recessed windows, and nail flange windows.
- Compatible with industry standard substrates, except OSB.
- Compatible with different types of cladding such as: masonry, open joint facades, fiber cement, stucco, stone, and ACM.
- Declare label , April 2016
- On the VaproShield website there are over 50 profiles using this innovation.